Leaking Pegler Terrier TRV's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again experts,

Here's my system details

Vokera Excell 80E Combi
TRV's on all rad's apart from bathroom
Had my gas solenoid<spelling?> replaced and boiler serviced this week, (don't know if relevant).

My problem is with a small drip coming from 2 of my TRV's, it appears that the leak only happens when the heating is off although i am not 100% sure about this, i am having to top up my pressure 1-2 times a day to 1-1.5bar, would 2 leaking TRV's really cause that much of a drop in pressure in 1 day? I cannot see any other leaks. Is there anywhere else i should be looking for leaks? (apart from under the floorboards) Also, is it possible to replace anything in the TRV's to prevent the leaks ? (i have read about o-rings) and how would i do this (does heating need to be off, does radiator need to be isolated etc)? Or would you suggest replacing the TRV's and again how would this be done, i think the system is at least 10 years old.

Below is a pic of my TRV's

TRV.jpg

As always many thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

Gary

Sponsored Links
garya said:
...would 2 leaking TRV's really cause that much of a drop in pressure in 1 day?
Too right it would - try venting one rad with the pressure starting at 1 bar, and see how quickly you lose it.

garya said:
I cannot see any other leaks. Is there anywhere else i should be looking for leaks? (apart from under the floorboards)
I would fix the known leaks, then look for more only if you continue to lose pressure.

garya said:
Also, is it possible to replace anything in the TRV's to prevent the leaks ?
Depends where the leak is: if from a nut and olive, then yes; if from the gland, then no.

garya said:
...(i have read about o-rings) and how would i do this (does heating need to be off, does radiator need to be isolated etc)?
Pegler Belmont valves can be maintained by replacing the 'O' rings, but Terriers cannot. In any case, this is a Terrier TRV.

garya said:
Or would you suggest replacing the TRV's and again how would this be done, i think the system is at least 10 years old.
Yes. Drain the system, replace the leaking valves, then re-fill, adding an inhibitor when you've tested for leaks.

thanks for the reply softus, i have since noticed (whilst refilling the system again) that i have a slow drip coming from the pipe on the outside of the house) since refilling this has become a faster drip, would this also have something to do with the plummeting pressure and is there a screw or fixing on the boiler somewhere that the heating engineer hasnt properly adjusted when he was here this week (he did drain quite a lot of water out of the system through this pipe when he was here)

sorry for the ignorance but which part is the gland and which the nut and olive?

thanks

gary

(he did drain quite a lot of water out of the system through this pipe when he was here)
His fault then, fair and square, imho. Any boiler fixer should know that you do NOT drain boilers through the pressure relief valve because they will nearly all leak through it afterwards.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
(he did drain quite a lot of water out of the system through this pipe when he was here)
His fault then, fair and square, imho. Any boiler fixer should know that you do NOT drain boilers through the pressure relief valve because they will nearly all leak through it afterwards.

thanks chrisr, is there any way i can stop this drip? Would i be within my rights to ask them to come out again without charge, more importantly will they be able to stop the drip if they do come out?

garya said:
thanks chrisr, is there any way i can stop this drip? Would i be within my rights to ask them to come out again without charge, more importantly will they be able to stop the drip if they do come out?
I quote agree with ChrisR. It wouldn't seem fair to give you a free valve, but the labour certainly ought to be free.

Softus said:
garya said:
I quote agree with ChrisR. It wouldn't seem fair to give you a free valve, but the labour certainly ought to be free.

sorry guys, i am a bit confused, softus when you say valve are you referring to the TRV or the pressure release valve? is there nothing on the boiler i can adjust to stop the drip from the hose outside the house?

garya said:
sorry guys, i am a bit confused, softus when you say valve are you referring to the TRV or the pressure release valve? is there nothing on the boiler i can adjust to stop the drip from the hose outside the house?
Didn't mean to confuse you. My first post, which was before you noticed the PRV drip, was all about TRVs. The second post (free valve) was referring to the PRV.

Sorry its a bit late but thanks for the advice guys, i ended up replacing all 8 of my old TRV's with danfoss bi-directionals. cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back