Leaking TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i have a leaking trv that has been in our house for 20 odd years,

It leaks from the Pin, (only when the TRV is on) if you take the TRV off it dries up and seems fine, not that I understand the simple way the TRV works however to save me buying a new TRV and having it fitted (draining down etc) if I put a small hole in the TRV so it isn’t in contact with the pin would this be ok (I know the TRV wont work as intended) I just want to stop the thing working, I know it’s a temp measure I know it needs a new valve, I am thinking as the TRV works it moves the pin so makes it leak (we don’t even use the TRV this is the reason I am suggesting this) look forward to comments

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Unless I'm missing something, why not just keep the TRV head off, until you can get the valve replaced? :)

that sounds like the wife ;) i agree however it lookes unsightly, would my idea work? im not bothered about it destroying the trv?

that sounds like the wife ;) i agree however it lookes unsightly, would my idea work? im not bothered about it destroying the trv?
I'm fairly sure if you turn it to max it won't do anything, so same as being removed. If it still does, slacken the nut a tad.

Sponsored Links
Unless you've got white carpets (or you can't pull them up) there's normally no need to drain the system for a rad valve swap. People that do are dragging the job out.

What's the going rate to have a new one fitted? Thanks Paul

just do it yourself, no need to drain anything, post a pic of your TRV and I will send you a link to the gland

Image as requested are you sure you can replace the gland??

Attachments

• IMG_20211117_064946.jpg
    IMG_20211117_064946.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 108
yes you can but you are supposed to use a special tool with that valve, most of us dont, but yes can be done, unfotunately you have a cheap TRV, danfoss ones take seconds to swap the gland

New valve time not worth repairing TBH. Just do it and forget it, and look forward to Christmas, simples.

It looks like 10 mm pipe to me so be prepared for a reducer set inside or a 10 mm valve. Pull carpet back, isolate other valve, release pressure or bung (OH) and Aqua-Vac while doing job if needed.

We have an extension 15 x 10 mm extended chrome reducer to do away with original reducing set that will create retro fitting problems or buggered up 10 mm olive and pipework

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back