Leaking plumbing joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for some advise on my central heating plumbing.

I have an issue with a leaking plumbing joint. It seems to be losing about 100 ml a day through constant dripping. Is this a screw fitting or is it just soldered?

I have tried Fernox LS-X leak sealer, but this hasn't worked and the joint is still losing as much water. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Attachments

• 20191107_090541.jpg
    20191107_090541.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 305
Sponsored Links
They are soldered joints , they will have to be cut out and replaced

I may be wrong, but they look like soldered at the large (22 mm?) end, with compression joints on the smaller (15 mm and 12 mm?) exits.
If the above is correct then:
1. If the leak is from one or more of the compression joints:
1a. You might be able to tighten the nuts up a little and seal the joint. If you do this make sure the body of the fitting is held securely to prevent twisting of other pipework. Don't over tighten as you can easily crush the olive into the pipe, which will make the leak worse.
1b. You might have to remove the leaking compression joint, possibly fit a new olive and retry. Will require a drain down unless you can otherwise prevent water flow through the pipes (bung, freeze etc.)
2. If the leak is from one of the soldered joints, then the whole fitting will need replacing as ianmcd states. I'm not sure if the same fittings are still available.

I may be wrong, but they look like soldered at the large (22 mm?) end, with compression joints on the smaller (15 mm and 12 mm?) exits.
If the above is correct then:
You are spot on I have just looked at the pic on my laptop rather than phone and the branches are indeed some sort of compression fitting, I have to say I have never seen these before , well spotted

Sponsored Links
You will not be able to disassemble that. Cut them off and replace with soldered fittings.

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I can see from the photo why you might think they are compression joints, but its just a trick of the light. All of the pipes are completely round at the joints, there are no nuts.

It turns out there is a 22mm pipe which splits off to a 10mm and a 8mm pipe on the same junction. The whole thing will likely need resoldering unfortunately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back