Leaking Prv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, so lets start of with i am not a plumber just a diy person.
I have a external Oil fired central heating boiler (No Name) The system is an open valve. with a back boiler. It was installed in the early 1980` i only know this because i grew up in this house.
So after all the defrost we had i have been going around replacing repairing copper pipes ( Luckily outside of the house ) Mainly pipe work popped out of any all compression joints so now i have been checking around boiler.

4 pipes enter boiler. 2 on either side ( Left and right) one enter far back lowest corner and the other top corner. the gavity pump pushes flow into boiler and this pipe work enters on the right hand side lowest pipe . I assume that the lower pipe is the central heating circuit.

So to my problem. On the Hot water circuit on the vertical pipes coming of the boiler i have a `Prv` Yes the are old looking ? on each side right hand side has seems to be a tap type
left hand side is a spring which pushes down onto a balck cap . and then connects to a t compression joint . I have search internet and not found anything similar as it has a consistent drip. Yes i have the water supply turned of but the boiler has some water.
Do i need a prv replacement do i need a prv at all and what do i ask for .
Yes unfortunately i do have to do this myself as my money is tight but i am thinking after i do it to get an engineer in to balance the system and check my work hopefully ?

Sponsored Links
If you mean open vented system with gravity hot water and pumped heating then you are probably talking about an old style pressure relief valve.They can usually be removed and plugged off.This means a drain down or if you know how "bunging" the system in order to safely remove the leaking valve.I read somewhere that removing the prv is ok if your open vent is 22mm but if it is 15mm then a new valve must be fitted.The open vent is the pipe that rises above and bends to point down into your expansion tank.If in doubt get a pro in as this job is easy and should not break the bank.

Yes open vented system with gravity hot water and pumped heating.
then you are probably talking about an old style pressure relief valve.

Open vent is 22mm system .The pipe work is over an expansion tank on top of water tank in attic
Thank you for your advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back