PRV on boiler question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question.
I have a very basic boiler that i have moved into my garage.....no built in pump etc.
The PRV was fitted originally on one side of the boiler but it would be much easier if i could fit it to the other side of the boiler from a plumbing perspective.(its up high in a corner)
If i were to plumb the boiler backwards to its original setup could i put the PRV on the other side or is the boiler designed to work only in one particular direction(im guessing it is...but i cant see any flow markings on the boiler that would indicate this.)
Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
The flow and return on a boiler are designed to only flow one way.

A prv just opens when the pressure is greater than 3 Bar and could be fitted anywhere on the system with access to an outside wall.

A prv just opens when the pressure is greater than 3 Bar and could be fitted anywhere on the system with access to an outside wall.

Has to be one on the boiler, not on attached pipework that might be isolated by the valves.

Sponsored Links
It was originally on the outlet of the boiler(on top of the boiler) and i hope to move it to the inlet side...that sound OK?

It was originally on the outlet of the boiler(on top of the boiler) and i hope to move it to the inlet side...that sound OK?

OK if it is still on top, I'd think.
Not OK if it's on the bottom; it would discharge water, rather than steam if the boiler overheated. If there were steam blowing out the top, there should be cold make-up water coming in at the bottom. The PRV at the bottom would tend to drain out the coolest water.
Ask the manufacturers, they're usually helpful.

Does it still work? You can operate the easing lever/knob to make sure it still moves. Sometimes they won't re-seat, but they're not expensive.

both inlet and outlet are on top of boiler...so i guess its OK

Has to be one on the boiler, not on attached pipework that might be isolated by the valves.

How would you do this if you were converting an open vent boiler to pressurised system? :confused:

I would ensure the PRV was on the boiler. Isn't that what I'd said?
If there wasn't an available tapping, I'd have one on a tee adjacent to the boiler and on the boiler side of any IVs.

martyc

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:35 am Post Subject: Pipe routing to and from boiler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

I have moved my boiler from kitchen to garage and it is now higher up than it used to be.
Its a vented system with header tank in loft.

I cut a void in the kitchen ceiling where the old flow and return pipes came down and ran them out into the garage through the wall @ this point(when ceiling is made good the pipes will be hidden between ceiling and floor.)
However the pipes now have to travel about 15" up to the boiler flow and returns...is this OK??
(read somewhere about pipes must travel upwards from a vented system...but im not sure if that was only WRT the actual vent pipe)

Cheers,
Marty.

Is this the same boiler you appear top be confused!!!

Same boiler...not confused...have it fully installed now, will fire it up tomorrow hopefully(took the circuit board out as its faulty...just going to pop out the relays and clean up the contacts)
Cheers,
Marty.

Cheers,
Cleaned up the relays and put it all back together.
however when i went to fire up boiler it is doing SFA!!
If there is air in the gas line(new gas line about 30 foot) does that need to be bled from the system or should the boiler look after that?(last time i changed main gas line boiler just fired away)
There are bleed jets either side of 2 gas solenoid type valves in the boiler...there only gas @ one side which tells me one of the valves is staying closed...this is a vented system so im guessing water pressure is not an issue??
Cheers,
Marty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back