Leaking push fit connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst fitting a new bathroom sink / vanity unit, I had a real 'mare using push fit connectors on the flexi hoses.

I made sure both ends on the copper pipes where not damaged, not scored, not corroded, polished with wire wool etc.

I made sure there was no debris in the ends of the push fit assey's and they pushed on home, true and square.

Turned on the water and three of the four connectors leaked varying from a small drip to a substantial pour.

Tried re-making the connections several times and managed to eventually get the leak down to just one end, but to be honest, I have no faith or confidence in the joints if they are so sensitive or easily disturbed.

Has anyone else had problems with push fit stuff?

I might take them back tonight and go the old fashioned compression joints again - at least I know these won't fail so easily.

Where am I going wrong?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Nah, pipe cutter one end, and nice rounded over ends on the tap pipes straight out of the box. I was careful to push them on straight too.

Just seems too hit and miss to me?

Just a thaught, but you are locking these in when you push in the pipe?

ie... turning the locking ends of each connector after installing the pipe?

ITs defo copper to connector that leaking? no plastic pipework without insert anywhere?

Oh and another thaught.... What size pipe are you using, and the size of connectors?

obvs there are common 10mm, 15mm, and 22mm these days.... but some of the older copper pipe work esp the (1 inch) stuff looks like 22mm, but isnt always the case....

and I asume your using a pipe cutter and not a hacksaw? :rolleyes:

15mm copper pipe cut with a tube cutter.

They are not the locking type, they just push on and are held tight with the little internal basket style ring with the small metal tabs in.

I know what you mean now... it helps if i read all your post....

I remember having an issue with one of these too.... mine were gray ended things.... Anyway....

I found that once id cut the pipe and connected the other end to the tap , i held back the "Basket thing" into the mechanism, place pipe iside as far as it wil go then release "Basket thing" (Im sure it has a propper name). When water presure turned back on they popped out and locked the mech to the pipe....

installed 6 in my own house, and all working fine.... once i worked out what to do....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back