Leaking PVC pipe coupling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just wondering if I could get some advice on a little issue I am having.

I discovered a pretty heavy leak coming from a pipe that leads from my cistern to the toilet pan. The pipe is PVC and has two fittings, one directly on the cistern and a joint slightly below. After doing a little troubleshooting, I can see the leak was from the lower joint. I tightened it as much as I could which has drastically improved the leak, but there is still a tiny bit of water coming out, like maybe one drip every hour.

Is it a case of tightening it even more or do I need some teflon tape or could the joint be broken altogether. I tried to do some googling on this type of joint but I cant find anything. I dont know its name or if it contains washers\seals of some kind.

Anyway, Ive attached a photo. Thanks in advance for any advice, even if its just the correct name for the joint

Sponsored Links
You need a new washer for the bit that leaks. Unscrew the bottom nut and pull the flush pipe carefully down, out of the connection. Remove the knackered conical shaped rubber washer and get a new one the correct size from b&q or a plumbers merchant.

It shouldn't pour water all over the place while you do this but, just in case, do it with the cistern empty. Either turn off the water supplying it, or tie up the ball float with a bit of string.

And make sure nobody flushes it when the pipes out ;) you'd be surprised.

Sponsored Links
Ahh ok, so it does contain a washer. Thanks for that, seems easy enough.

LOL about the flushing, something my missus would do.

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back