Leaking hw pipe to basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just discovered that a HW pipe that is supplying the basin in my under stairs closet appears to be leaking at a copper right angle joint (occasional drip). Anyway first question:- I am just about to go away for a while and I was wondering if there is a product I could buy from B&W that could be applied around the joint to prevent the leak?

I know the best way is to take the joint off and replace it. If I do go down this route I would stop the water supply; drain the pipework; remove the old joint with heat and finally clean up the pipe ends with some emery cloth. Question:- can I use the same pipe ends and simply put on another joint & solder or do I have to cut them clean with a pipe cutter (could get tricky)

Sponsored Links
No, don't use any dodgy repair paste from Been & Queued. Turn the water off at the stopcock whilst you are away.

Trying to un-sweat old fittings, then clean off the old solder is a waste of time and effort. Cut out the pipe near the leaking fitting, and solder in a new piece of pipe with the elbow in it. If soldering will be problematic, use compression joints instead.

Thanks. Took your advice and cut the pipe above the elbow. Soldered a new joint and added some pipe. Turned the supply and no sign of a leak so far :LOL: but its early days..

Noted that the waste under the sink has a slight drip. Oh well next DIY job...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back