Found leak in copper pipe under concrete!

The main problem will be getting the water out and the pipe dry.
I'm gonna leave the hole exposed and lift the tiles, then hire a de-humidifier, will this do the job?
Think doitall means getting the residual water from the C/H pipe & getting it dry before attempting to solder; its the same thing I was referring to.
Ah, I see, sorry. Again, this will be the case that if the plumber is worth his salt he will know to do this before hand.

Sponsored Links
solder ring fittings are every bit as reliable as end feed what makes you think they are not

Sponsored Links
Because when you sweat them you empty the shoulder leaving an unecessary gap that isn't there with end feed. They also look sh*t and unprofessional and they're the only ones I've been able to pull apart by hand when ripping out old systems.

and is it the strongest type of joint for copper pipes

A brazed joint is the strongest for copper followed by silver solder. Higher temperatures needed!

You should try and lower the dig a little more. Might be difficult but will make the plumbers job easier.

Also try and cut (Im assumimg the system is turned off and partly drained anyway) the 15mm pipe beside your red mark and let the pipe drain.
Either small submersible pump or wet vac and suck the water out of the hole or just dish it out. And hopefully it will be dry for your plumber.

I think I see damaged pipe in there. I would remove and replace all those joints and cut off any damage.

If the joint has been soldered correctly its as good as an end feed fitting and you wont pull a solder ring fitting apart any easier than an end feed they've been used for years on domestic and commercial pipework without any problems the fact that you think they dont look as nice is irrelevant

Actually just looking at the photo again, small 4" grinder with a slitting blade and remove all those dodgy looking joints and the pipe will drain better.

How do you define 'soldered correctly' if you don't actually solder them?

What I think is relevant to my customers who tend to appreciate traditional workmanship. It's also relevant to the post, in which one of the contributors has described a failed solder ring joint.

I'd cut the pipes thus...................
pipechopper.gif

:D

Then you can get those pipe ends shining like a mirror ready for Mr Plumber. :D

what i think is you're talking rollocks

Good, then carry on offering your services using materials designed for the semi-skilled. Better still why not really push the boat out and use some speedfit. Just as long as you don't moan when the average DIYer p*sses past you because his work's better than yours.

whats wrong with speedfit is it carp because you dont like the look of it ?

you obviously dont know much about soldered fittings maybe pushfit's how you got started in plumbing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back