advice on leaking heating pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I notice my central heating copper pipe has accumulated some blue-ish thing around the soldered joint (L-shape joint). Does it mean leaking? if it is, what should I do to repair it? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is it a newly soldered pipe? If so it's normal for discolouration afterwards.

It could be caused by a leak or by a flux residue that wasn't cleaned off after the elbow was soldered. Thoroughly clean the pipe and fitting. If the corrosion reappears, then you know you have a leak.

Cleaning is helped by using hot water, and letting it dissolve the soluble bits, then steel wool to get the rest off.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for all your swift response.

The soldered pipe is believe to have over 2 years, and it is underneath floorboards which I have lift for wiring for downlighters.

However I have had another look, I can see the pipe is touching the floorboard. so the friction may have been the cause apart from discolouration.

Do you think if i can put back the floorboard after cleaning, or should I leave it for a few days while monitoring if any corrosion will occur? what is the best things I can do to minimise the possibility of leaking soldered elbow?

it may be it has always been like that, and only now that you noticed it. is the joint wet?

to be sure i would look / feel the joint for a few days if no change all is well

The joint is not wet. but there is a slight dampness visible along the joint and also has some dry white discharges surround the joint.

With regards to cleaning as suggested, what type of solutions can I apply to clean the joint, Or just hot water will be adequate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back