Leaking rad fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my sons has a leaking rad push-in fitting, pic attached. Plastic pipe. I haven't had much to do with these, but told him to try pushing the pipe in further, if it will go. There's a bend in the pipe further along so should be enough movement.
Am I right thinking the black plastic ring can be pushed back, and that will allow the pipe to be pulled out? (after draining of course!).
If so, is it then possible to remove the grip ring and O-ring, and renew the O-ring.
Any other ideas?

Any help appreciated!

upload_2021-2-17_14-30-24.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's not leaking from the connection between the 10mm elbow and the TRV, hence the green staining on top?

I suppose it could be. I'll get him to double check. Thanks

Rang him and he's pretty sure it's from the push-in, but I told him to wipe it all bone dry, then check again to be sure.

Last edited:
Looks to me as though it's weeping (on the left) where the elbow connects to the TRV.

Sponsored Links
It looks as if it is the connection above which is leaking, hence the stain on top of the metal fitting. Pair of spanners, one to hold the fitting, one to tighten.

It looks as if it is the connection above which is leaking, hence the stain on top of the metal fitting. Pair of spanners, one to hold the fitting, one to tighten.
That's what I told him to do, if that's where the leak is. Don't put a net force on the fitting (and rad)

Thanks for everybody's comments, but can anybody help with my query about removing the pipe and grip ring?

At a guess, you may need the manufacturers tool for that, but lacking which you need a fork shaped flat implement, to force the black part towards the fitting, to release it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back