Types of PVC pipe fittings ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had the lead mains replaced today by a contractor for Thames water. He put in 25mm id blue PVC pipe - tariffic flow now.

But he kept getting leaks on the plastic fittings he used - they had an o ring inside the fitting. He put a nut on the pipe, then a plastci "gripper" ring, pushed the pipe into the fitting and tightened the nut so the ring gripped the pipe. I assume the O ring inside the fitting did the sealing but at least two joints kept leaking. It took several goes to get it right.

Is there a better system ? This seemed like a push fit system that couldn't cope with scratches on the pipe.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that TW have tested & said to there subbies, thats what you have to use.

He put in 25mm id blue PVC pipe
The pipe is not PVC but MDPE and it's not 25mm ID but 25mm OD. Jointing system is fine. Problem is that contractors employ numpties to do the joining.

Agree with Chris. Jointing system is fine for MDPE. Everything just needs to be square in order for the joint to work.

Sponsored Links
OK - MDPE it is then.
In the conditions where they pull it through using a mole and drag it under the floor , I would have thought a rubber olive system may have been better ?
As far as I could see it was abrasions on the pipe causing the problem.
I agree with you though - after they went we took a joint apart (it was seaping) cleaned it up and it sealed !

Abrasions on the MDPE certainly wouldn't help.

You should be changing to copper though pretty soon after it enters the house and is vertical so maybe cut some of the MDPE back??

If you've made a successful joint though I'd leave it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back