leaking rad pipe into valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
came home from a trip to find the radiator leaking where the pipe goes into the valve that controls the flow (the one with all the numbers on it.

Where the hell do I find the stop to shut off the water supply to the system? Where is it likely to be, by the tank, the attic? Is it likely to be hot or cold? Nothing seems to do it, nothing is labeled.

Or can I just freeze the pipe long enough to undo the nut and put in a new washer / olive thing?

Sponsored Links
You may have said something about your system somewhere else, but I don't know that. What type of system is it? Open vented or sealed?

In either case though, it may be possible to stop the leak by tightening the nut by a small amount.

dont panack mister mannering. is it dripping,runningor squerting.

Sponsored Links
how do I tell if its open vented or sealed - (remember you're speaking to someone who can't fix a leaking radiator pipe :eek: )

The system is about 5 years old if that counts. Its fed from something called a Boilermate 2. Everytime I mention that to a plumber they put the phone down.

Thought of tightening the nut - it got worse.

So, froze the pipe, got the nut off hoping to find a normal 'olive' thing inside and there was just some wierd conical shaped thing that will not slide off the top of the pipe.

So it gone in back together with loads of plumber mate putty stuff on that sealant tape.

Sod the carpet. A

Also found out that the cold water mains stop cock is behind the kitchen cupboards, inaccessible by hand without destroying the cupboard wall. Now done

Sod Bryant homes.

ahhh the joys of plumbing.

It wouldn't be any fun if stop taps were ever accesible, or if they ever worked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back