Leaking rad.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please see attached picture. Please can anyone advise. Its leaking from where the gold screw is. I have just tightened the gold screw clockeise ie turning to the left. Is this correct?

Attachments

• 16089028816208626866996915751453.jpg
    16089028816208626866996915751453.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 144
Sponsored Links
Looks to me like it might be dripping from above. is there a bleed screw? Show us the top end.

Sponsored Links
Looks to be leaking at every joint, except the brass.

Looks to me like it might be dripping from above. is there a bleed screw? Show us the top end.

What on earth are you two wittering on about? There is a rust drip from the bottom silver nut. The OP needs to hold the body of the lock shield, I use a mole wrench, then using a suitable spanner nip up the bottom silver nut by turning it anti-clockwise. Just for the OP's interest when I had a similar drip it was the olive that had become crushed due to multiple nip ups. If that is the case for yours, ie nipping up the nut doesn't stop the drip then it becomes a biggish, but more importantly, a messy job unless you drain down your system.

New valve needed. It's been leaking from the rad tail/ union and possibly the valve. That and the lockshield valve top has actually snapped.

There is a rust drip from the bottom silver nut

Wouldn't be a rust drip, probably the colour of the system water. The valve body and internals are brass, olive is brass/copper and nut is brass, so there nothing in there to rust.

That has been leaking for a long time, even if it still is actually leaking, but yep Christmas day is the right time to mess around with it :oops:

I watched this video and did exactly what he said.

He mentioned if it doesnt work use ptfe tape. Can I ask, would I simply remove the part I tightened and add the tape and screw back on? It won't cause a flood by doing this?

Please see pic for top end. The water seems to b16089242710027495433571302914398.jpg e coming from where the gold meets the silver.

What on earth are you two wittering on about? There is a rust drip from the bottom silver nut. The OP needs to hold the body of the lock shield, I use a mole wrench, then using a suitable spanner nip up the bottom silver nut by turning it anti-clockwise. Just for the OP's interest when I had a similar drip it was the olive that had become crushed due to multiple nip ups. If that is the case for yours, ie nipping up the nut doesn't stop the drip then it becomes a biggish, but more importantly, a messy job unless you drain down your system.
Think you have had too much brandy , like everyone said nuts need tightening ( clockwise) to tighten.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back