Leaking Radiator at bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, slight problem I have in my home. One of the radiators, downstairs by front door, is dripping (only a small drip) from the bottom. It started last night, so I put a tray underneath it.

The other rads seem ok, so I presume it;s old age/rust etc over the years.

I have seen a product online that is available to buy called Sentinel Sealer (internal type) and an external type that you weld onto the surface.

Has anyone used this before? I cannot afford to change a radiator at the moment.

Thanks for helping everybody

Jacob

Sponsored Links
not used either..is it leaking from the rad seems? or from a compression / nut that could be repaired?
could you just turn the rad off for now by closing both valves?

the rads more likely that rotten inside it wouldn't seal for long any way.

just isolate the two rad valves and drain that rad to you fit a new one. ;)

Hi

It is leaking from the seam at the bottom - not the pipe or valve or nut.

Good idea I could turn it off at the valves, then after the radiator's empty that'll stop it.

I might try the putty from Sentinel, it's £5 or so to buy a tube of it. Just wondered if anyon'e tried it?

Sponsored Links
the rads more likely that rotten inside it wouldn't seal for long any way.

just isolate the two rad valves and drain that rad to you fit a new one. ;)

Oh, so the radiator will leak even if I seal it up with sealer?

If I buy another radiator of the same size, will it be difficult to hang/fit? Will the wall brackets be ok to re-use?

I might try the putty from Sentinel, it's £5 or so to buy a tube of it. Just wondered if anyon'e tried it?

i quite like the price of my public liability insurance as it is to take the chance on a £5 bodge.

the radiator will more likely fail further along in time it's rotton as a pair inside. ;)

doubt the brackets will fit but it will be easy to hang new brackets and rad.

ok was just an idea, I know Sentinel is a good make

Is there any tip to hang the new rad to line up the valves?

Also, will I get a rad of the exact same length/width?

I will do tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Is it hard to hang the new rad then or to get one the correct size?

not hard to hang a new rad/brackets.

if it's that old a rad you may need to buy a rad valve extension thats all.
whats the length measure ?

Is the system open vented or sealed.

By that I mean is it a boiler with a pressure guage on the boiler front (sealed system)

Or

System has a small tank in the attic (open vented)

the open vented one probably has less pressure within it that the sealed system and some Fernox LX-S may do the job, but the previous advice re isolating the rad and draining it is worth doing, especially as you can then take the old rad to your merchants and try to match it up for size and bracket position.

The valves may drip slightly so an empty margerine tub under each valve may prove handy.

Tim

It's 568mm across it's length. Will I need to buy new rad valves too? The radiator valves are the older type, big round ones, not the newer type with nut and olive separate. These extensions do you mean extendable tails??

Yes Rad extension tails are what they mean - if you mean you have the union type instead of compression then just buy union extension tails.

Definitely replace the rad, these generally rust from the inside out therefore if its leaking it is rotten through.

New rad of that size is going to cost you about £30 from most merchants.

You want a 500mm wide rad and then the extension tails.

If all of your rads are the same age, keep an eye on them. Though I would start to replace them now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back