I scraped a bit of rust off a radiator, now it's leaking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody.

I'm decorating the bathroom and doing the final two jobs - painting the pipes and radiator before glossing the skirting boards and door.

Today I decided to prep the radiator. There was some loose paint at the bottom so I chipped it off with a screwdriver. I also cleaned around the part sticking out of the side of the radiator and decided to give a little (honestly, it was little) scrape of the rusting around the pipe coming out of the side, and now a steady drip, drip, drip of water is coming out.

Here's a picture (you can't see the water coming out though):

BsZ7q.jpg

I tried turning the knob on the side as far as it will go in both directions but it still drips out. I cannot afford a new radiator or anything as radical as that. There is another knob on the far end, but it's by the toilet and hard to reach. What are my options? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
The only option youve got!!! is to get a Plumber in to isolate the rad and then get a new one fitted.

Hope the others in the building are not as bad cos your gonna have problems

Make sue you turn off the radiator at both sides for a start as there's a very good chance it will burst and cause lots of water damage depending on the system type. If the water coming out is dirty then you have corrosion in the system and a good chance all the rads will be heading the same way. The system may have to be flushed and treated with a protection chemical. Further info can be found on this site.
You will defo have to replace that one though Im afraid.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys, not what I wanted to hear but at least I know what to do now. I've shut both sides off and can tell the missus the good news when she gets home!

Luckily all other radiators are okay and it's normal water coming out....

Look at the state of the radiator should have been replaced
years ago.
If the other radiators in the house are in similar condition I suggest you replace those at the same time.

I think you have been very lucky, that was a leak waiting to happen, normally when your on holiday. Also don't forget inhibitor when you fill them up.

Andy

Me thinks this post should be given a Gold Star. :D

Oh here we go!! It's a wonder the Power Flush cowboys have not had their say!!!

You've got a classic case of Bathroom Radiator rust, there's every chance all your other rads will be OK, as this one has only corroded due to Bathroom condinsation.

Don't replace it with a radiator stick in a large ladder type towel rail, not a cheap one though, ensure it's the same output as the rad.
HTH
D Puller

Delta, me thinks someone's aim is poor when they go for a leak :D

Aye & don't forget 'Dr Fernox', he'll bore you too death with his pearls of wisdom!!!............. :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back