Leaking Radiator at Thermo Joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just fitted 3 radiators on a extension linked into normal boiler system.

One of the radiators is dripping very slightly from the thermo valve where it actually goes into the radiator thread, I have tightened it as much as I can and it still leaks :cry:

Even though it would take a year to fill a jam jar of water, I need to sort it out.

What should I do? I guess I need to take it off to check it?, also what is best way of draining the rad's cos in an extension and I have done a seperate cut off valve so don't have to do whole house but not sure how to drain as no drain plugs, just the caps in ends.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
turn off your new cut off valves (you do have 2 ?) put very large bucket under offending rad and slowly undo it, chamge rad valve for new one with drain off point (see this ) and use lots of ptfe tape on thread

thanks for your reply breezer, yeah I did put two cut off on, the screw type, but when I just turned them off the screw kinda pops out a bit and is dripping water too, I managed to wind it back round but seems to be duff?

does this happen often?

If you turn the valves off on both ends of the radiator, you should be able to slaken the nuts and drain some water into a bucket to relieve the pressure, then undo and take the rad outside full off water.

best with two people so you can keep a finger on the stems of the rad when you disconnect it.

Sponsored Links
diybristol said:
thanks for your reply breezer, yeah I did put two cut off on, the screw type, but when I just turned them off the screw kinda pops out a bit and is dripping water too, I managed to wind it back round but seems to be duff?

does this happen often?

Sounds like a cheap ballofix valve,m yes they always leak, they're Rubbish

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A236929&ts=93894&id=67670 its one of these valves, I just checked the other and that seems the same, I turned it so the line is vertical with valve which is off, the screw seems to rise and slight water seeps out, is this pressure?

Do I really need to change these two?

Also if I do need to change them, can I reuse pipe with olive and just unscrew and add new middle valve bit? or would this be dodgy?

This is getting bad now :confused:

Maybe not, they do sometimes re-seal when you turn them on.

Have you fitted them the right way round. e.g. both arrows pointing towards the radiator. :rolleyes:

doitall said:
Maybe not, they do sometimes re-seal when you turn them on.

Have you fitted them the right way round. e.g. both arrows pointing towards the radiator. :rolleyes:

Thanks for coming back, I just turned em back on and they seem ok, but worried once boards down, why would the screw raise? pressure?

Also on the other radiator I got such a minute drop of water, I am thinking is it worth doing, we are talking in an hour or so not even a drip, its only if you put tissue on the joint it picks up a tiny spot of water.

The other rad needs doing though, so will do that. Is it ok to use plumbers grease and PTFE and how many wraps of PTFE would you do to ensure?

Many Thanks for help ;O)

Just use the ptfe, about 10-12 wraps, you should feel it go tight as you screw it in, whereas if it screws in loosely you have to start again.

you should use jointing compound on the cap and lining where the two metals join.

What you should do is run the heating up and get all the rads hot, then allow to cool and repair any leaks.

Thanks Doitall!

I took em all off replaced, with plenty of PTFE, looks like mate who did it put 2 wraps of ptfe!

Just bit of problem with downstairs rad not heating, but will write back if still issue later, trying a few things now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back