Leaking roof near chimney and leaking around soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Sorry in advance for the long post but I wanted to cover all the details I could in one go.

I have had two issues rear their ugly head last night and need some urgent help.

Problem 1. Last night during some heavy rain a leak appeared in my bedroom (right above my head, typical!) I went into the loft to investigate and found the underfelt has split / hanging down a bit and water dripping down. The leak is about 12-18" from the gable end of the house and about 10' down the roof the apex of which is where the chimney is located. From the ground I can not see any tiles damaged or missing but the flashing could be an issue.

Problem 2. I have noticed a damp patch on the ceiling around the boxing in of the soil pipe in my bathroom for some time, and also some dampness on the floor in my kitchen directly below. So i had been suspecting the seal around the soil pipe where it exits the roof needed replacing. On inspecting the other leak in the middle of the night I have discovered this is pretty much definitely the case as the pipe has some water running down the sides of it and there is also water dripping from the edge of the felt where it has been cut through. (i am going to get a ladder to look at the outside later)

My questions are;

1. I believe the soil stack needs a new collar and tile flashing (rubber and aluminium (screwfix £17.99 below), does this sound right? if so is this easy / how do you go about installing one?

2. Does an issue with the chimney flashing sound likely? Do you think this is something an avid and experienced DIYer could attempt? Again any advice on how to do this and what to use would be appreciated.

3. Once the repair is made is fixing the underfelt necessary?

4. If it is necessary would the tiles need to be removed to do this or could it be done internally? Would it be a DIY job etc.

5. Finally if I did get a roofer to do these jobs how long would you expect it to take / how much would it cost? I am based in the Leicestershire area.

To give you an idea of my skill levels I am an avid and competent DIY'er I have installed kitchens taken out walls and done plumbing and electrics. Only thing I don't tough is GAS and I am yet to do any building work but the idea of doing it does not phase me (planning in converting / building a new toilet in block wall in my garage and building a front porch extension at some point!)

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi all,
a ladder to look at the outside later)

1. I believe the soil stack needs a new collar and tile flashing (rubber and aluminium (screwfix £17.99 below), does this sound right? if so is this easy / how do you go about installing one?

2. Does an issue with the chimney flashing sound likely? Do you think this is something an avid and experienced DIYer could attempt? Again any advice on how to do this and what to use would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
1 - it might just be that the plastic skirt that SHOULD be glued to the soil pipe - isn`t :idea: 2 - many a travelling man ;) will "fix that roof for you, Guv" so I don`t see why you shouldn`t DIY :idea:

You have to determine accurately and definitely, if possible, where exactly the roof leaks.
If you inspect the roof, do it from a ladder - dont go on the roof. Have someone foot the ladder and tie it into the fascia.
An option would be to cut the stack shy of the eaves and run it outside the roof plane in plastic - this is professional work, but clambering about on roofs is too.
Dont allow anybody to step on the roof without use of a roof ladder.

Yes, the felt should be sealed, but why is it "ripped"?

Any further Q's then post pics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back