Leaking sewage stack into kitchen....HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Whilst taking out my old kitchen, behind one of the units was the sewer stack from the bathroom above. Everything was damp so scraped away all the sewage to reveal the extent of the problem. It appears that somewhere on the stack it is leaking into the kitchen. Tried flushing the toilet to identify where abouts and have indicated it on the attached picture.
It also appears that behind the stack right in the corner, it opens up into a hole in the floor, could this be into the sewer?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated as I dont think this is a particularly healthy

Cheers,

Grozz

Sponsored Links
This is a common point of failure

Normally you will have to dig out the broken collar and replace the pipe section under and within the floor slab

If you try and bodge it by just sealing around the joint, then there is no guarantee that the pipe is not leaking within or under the floor.

Access may be a lot easier from outside

The two wall seen are the external walls to the house so to get proper acces from outside I would imagine some of this would have to be taken down.

Do you have any idea how much this would be likely to cost and is it something which can be claimed for on house insurance?

Cheers

Access from outside is by digging down to the drain and opening the wall where it enters the foundations. There is also digging from the inside.

The problem with those clay drains, is that when you start knocking the floor around it, they tend to crack further down, so you end up renewing the whole section from floor level to part of the drain where it exits the house.

You need to get quotes. It wont be cheap as its very awkward and time consuming.

Normally this is routine maintenance and not claimable on the insurance. You need to check your policy.

By all means have a go at the top bit around the collar, but it's rare a repair here will be successful, or last.

Sponsored Links
Just a possibilty (Probably some of the building boys will shoot me down) I had the same problem with an old S trap WC. I cut off the broken collar with an angle grinder (you need a top quality diamond disc - the pipe is very hard) and pushed a straight pan connector down the pipe. This left a push in type collar. Now I don't know if a stack pipe will pushfit seal but if not there is probably an adaptor available.

I have booked a plumber to come over tonight and give me a quote for fixing it. I hope it doesnt cost too much or take too long to fix! I hope that it isnt broken too far down so will be a simple fix but I definately think I will leave it up to them to do!

Just think you have been blaming the old womans cooking for that smell :LOL:

Get it done properly as you don't want to rip out the new units when installed. Try and get some recommendations and get a few quotes.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back