sewage smell

j03

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the same problem as above - I don't see this as hi-jacking as the thread died last year.
(Lynda, moderator, that is why it IS hi-jacking)

The problem is of sewer smells in downstairs kitchen, when upstairs toilet is used

My problem is identical to the first post, my bathroom is above my toilet and when the bath or (not as much) basin water go down the waste theirs a sewage smell coming through the kitchen sink. It has now moved on to a sewage smell outside the kitchen and all down the side of the house as well - not nice.

The basin and bath wastes both open above a single pipe above a gully, the same gully that the kitchen sink waste flows into. The soil stack is separate.

About 3 months ago there was a blockage in the main sewer in the street outside our house. Because we are the lowest and closest to the blockage all of the streets sewage backed into our drainage syatem and out the inspection hole all down our garden (plants are great now!).

After they came and cleared it up, either I was immune to the smell or it didn't smell. A short while ago I asked them to come and clear it further cos there were bits of debris around still. They came while I was at work and since that day the above is happening.

I looked in the inspection hole and cleared an old tampon (nice) and a couple of bits of poo that were clearly not ours as they were higher than the level would normally go. I also checked the flow and the front inspection chamber, which were absolutely fine. I poured some disinfectant down the rear inspection hole which they had left behind.

The smeel is still there though, it seems whenever there is a large anount of water going down the drain it almost sucks the sewage smeels back out of the sewer...is this possible? Does anyone know how to stop this if thats what it is or what it could be if it isn't?

Please help me...it stinks!!

Sponsored Links
Lynda said:
that is why it IS hi-jacking

Ok, sorry ;) I thought less threads would be better than more :)

So any ideas on this yet? I changed the S-Trap under the sink which helped a lot but the smell from the drains is still there.

One possible scenario is that there's a partial sewer blockage upstream of your house, and that running a bathful of water away ends up sucking the water seal from your gully.

However, I'm curious about this:

After they came and cleared it up, either I was immune to the smell or it didn't smell. A short while ago I asked them to come and clear it further cos there were bits of debris around still. They came while I was at work and since that day the above is happening.
Who are "they", and what did they do when they "came"?

Sponsored Links
Bugger you, Softus ;) You`ve subliminaly linked me to Jeff Waynes...."War of the Worlds"....with your ref. to them coming :evil: And that`s one of those "tunes" that keeps going round one`s head. :LOL:

have they left the inspection cover off that goes into the trap on the drain? if they have, then the smell bypass the trap and could be the cause of the smell. Its a screw in plug that they often remove when they jet the drain. If you look into the inspection hatch you should see one hole that drops downwards and is full of water, and a second hole above it thats caped off. If there is no cap there, that could be the cause of the problem.

Nige F said:
b*****r you, Softus ;) You`ve subliminaly linked me to Jeff Waynes...."War of the Worlds"....with your ref. to them coming :evil: And that`s one of those "tunes" that keeps going round one`s head. :LOL:
"The chances of anything coming from Mars
are a million to one,"
he said.

images

:D

I was thinking more of the line .....In Dickie Burton`s inimitable voice..................................."The lid fell off"............. :eek: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back