Leaking shower tiles - advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a recurrent problem with a shower cubicle I inherited with the house.

It is poorly installed, such that I've been getting leaks through the toilet ceiling below when water runs down the tiles at the back of the cubicle (about a cup or 2's worth).

We first resealed around the bottom (where tray joins 1st layer of tiles) - problem remained.

Then we noticed some grouting cracks in first few layers of tiles - and there is a very hollow sound when these are tapped (compared to rest of tiles) & there is some movement when pushed gently.

So have re-grouted & this seemed to cure it for a while.

However a 2 person shower soon found the weakness out again & it leaked again.

Noticed an obvious crack, with play in adjacent tile - so regrouted this & shower tonight was OK (even with fair bit of water running down the tiles).

Is there anything else further we can do to minimize this happening again e.g. further grouting or silicon sealing over the grouting.

I don't really care if it looks a bit messy afterwards as I will probably replace the bathroom eventually - just want to avoid having to completely strip out the tiles, re-seat the tray etc. (££££).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's time for a new shower wall, could be plasterboard behind which will be mush if wet.

Sponsored Links
It's time for a new shower wall, could be plasterboard behind which will be mush if wet.

Thanks

Damn, that's what I'm trying to avoid.

Could I put silicon sealant over the offending grouting joints to minimise / prevent water escaping out the back ?

If I needed to get the shower wall repaired who would best tradesman - plumber ? builder ? tiler ?

Maybe they would need to access from below as well (via downstairs toilet ceiling) ?

As Foxhole said, it’s fecked, whatever you do to bodge it will only be very temporary & throwing good money after bad; time to rebuild.

You may need the builder if any stud walling needs replacing but he’s unlikely to know which boards to use, where to use them & how to tile properly even if he says he does. Good tilers will (should) know all about suitable tiling substrates & adhesives & some may also be able to do the plumbing & even the building work & any plastering; mostly not necessary unless your only 1/2 tiling. A bath/shower room fitter who can do the lot is probably best for a total refurbishment. Be careful how you select your tradesmen, they have been known to lie about their capabilities!

Before you renovate or employ someone to do it for you, read the Tiling Forum sticky & Forum Archive posts, it may prevent you making potentially disastrous & expensive mistakes with regard to the preparation & tiling materials you should be using.

I would definately recommend waterproof panelling. The same company has some 1M wide panels, so that would mean even less joints.

I would also use a proper shower trim that you fit at the same time as the panels, along with sealant, this should then provide you with a fully watertight shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back