Leaking shower tray.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I had a new bathroom suite installed by a plumber recommended to me, about 12 months ago. Part of the job was to fit a new quadrant shower cubicle.

Ever since it has been fitted we have had leaks in the 2 corners where the tray meets the wall. It seems to be water running along the underside edge of the tray and then dripping on the corners.

We have re-sealed about 6 times so far and even had the cubicle doors off in order to re seal all along there too - but still we get leak, all be it drops now, but still leakage.

Can anyone maybe shed any more ideas on what it could be. Could they have used non waterproof grout etc???

We have had the plumber back 3/4 times but every time he just rips out the old sealant and re-seals it - which it is obviously not working, so if you have any other ideas or anything I can suggest to him to do it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Sorry if I've misunderstood, but why is water running along the underside of the tray? :confused:

Dunno, that is my question, why is it leaking and how do i stop it leaking?

even if the grout was letting in the water it wouldnt be as much to drip so you can see it, maybe you have a leaky pipe? has he looked into this?

Sponsored Links
Sorry if I've misunderstood, but why is water running along the underside of the tray?
Dunno, that is my question, why is it leaking and how do i stop it leaking?
OK. I surmise that this tray is on legs and that you're looking underneath.

So, the first step is, starting with the whole thing being dry, get an assistant to gently play water over specific areas until you discover where it's escaping from the cubicle and getting past the tray.

jefoss said:
even if the grout was letting in the water it wouldnt be as much to drip so you can see it, maybe you have a leaky pipe? has he looked into this?
I don't agree. I've seen showers where the grout has cracked and water, as it runs down the wall, thunders through the crack faster then you might think possible.

softus, i just mean as a rule, if the grout was cracked and open the op would surley have mentioned this

softus, i just mean as a rule, if the grout was cracked and open the op would surley have mentioned this
I never make assumptions when fault-finding - when you do it takes longer to find the answer.

I have a little saying, which I generally keep to myself, that goes: Until I know what the cause is, I don't know what the cause isn't.

danmun, please could you describe your shower tray and enclosure, or answer the following questions:

. Is the tray square/rectangular, or a quadrant?
. Is it PVC on ABS, or stone resin?
. Is it on legs?
. What is the flooring made of?
. How many sides of the tray does the enclosure stand on?
. Exactly where has the 'plumber' applied silicone sealant to the vertical sections?
. Exactly where has the 'plumber' applied silicone sealant to the horizontal sections?
. Which make/model/colour of sealant has he used?

A photo would also be handy.

And this is another reason why we tank all wall surfaces (even WBP ply Softus) prior to tiling. Any water making its way through the grout cannot get any further than the shower tray.

Depends if you're talking about moisture permeating the grout, or sneaking though cracks*.

*Cracks: those things that people have when it wasn't me who installed it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back