Leaking shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tiled my bathroom and shower in October 2011. Since then the shower is leaking into the kitchen below. It only leaks when water is directed into the right corner. I have sealed this area 3 times and it is leaking as badly as ever. I have had the shower tray tested and it is not cracked. Can anybody give some suggestions on what to do next. We have been unable to use the shower for 18 months.

Sponsored Links
Is the corner where it is leaking by the shower screen or internal tiled corner.

When you re silicone you need to make sure that all of the residue and old silicone is removed ( silicone eater can help with the residue) new silicone will not stick to old residue/silicone properly, boring arduous job, but has to be done

The internal tiled corner should also be siliconed and the outside edge of the screen

What did the guy say that tested you tray? Did he comment at all?

Is the shower tray properly supported? Installed correctly? Is there a lot of movement in the tray when you stand in it

Some have to be set Into the wall. I would seal the wall and then run a bead of silicone around before tiling as well, to create a double seal.

The leak is at the corner between the wall and the surround. No water leaks on to the floor in the bathroom. The guy that tested tray knocked on it a few times and said it didn't sound like it had a crack. The shower tray has been in 9 years and never leaked until the shower was retiled. Could the tray be cracked on the part that meets the tiles? Several plumbers have had a look and cant help. One has suggested cutting a piece of the ceiling in the kitchen to see where leak is coming from.

Sponsored Links
'Waterproof' tile adhesive and grout isn't waterproof - it doesn't keep water out, it just means the grout is not softened by water soaking through it.

Ideally the wall behind the tiles should be sealed to the tray before the tiles are applied so any water that gets behind the tiles can't re-appear as a leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back