Leaking Stand alone garage issues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Just bought a house in october 2010, it's my first home and i was rather excited to have an external garage.

so basically winters came along and a whole heap of snow has sat on the roof for approx 2 months, now when it rains the water seeps through the roof.

I am a total novice when it comes to anything like this but basically i'm looking to find out whats wrong ( I suspect whatever has been used to seal the roof is old) and if it's repairable. also would i need a proffesional or could I do it myself and what would this cost.

the roof is damp on the underside within the garage, mostly at the joins however when it rains this spreads all over.

I have attatched pictures, inside and out, the electricity within has been turned off meantime as all the water which has seeped through has fully saturated the beams where the lights and the "240V" box is mounted.

I do/did plan on making this garage a bit of a lads room i.e. projector, pool table, xbox... those plans are postponed, at least for now.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
well it`s a fibre/cement sheet roof . It won`t support any weight :!: so if you decide to clean it/ apply a sealer ( I`m sure there are better knowlege guys than me ) You must NOT get up on it - other than that , good luck with it ;)

Looks like its coming in through the bolt holes.
other than replacing the roof, a clean up and a coat of acrypol will do the job.

thanks alot guys, the whole god damn thing is a nightmare. sound like it will be fun to clean... with it not supporting weight and all.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to sound brutalist, but you need to rip that roof off, and put a proper one on. You'll be botching for evermore otherwise, like the previous owner was by the looks of things.

It has a water trap all the way round the perimeter and its flat! so the joints in the sheets that are designed for a pitched roof will always be problematic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back