Leaking stopcock...Water main cover removal....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20181223_191023.jpg
IMG_20181223_182909.jpg
Have always had a bit of a leaky stopcock and its got worse with age, been decorating bathroom so have had water on and off a lot and this seems that have made it worse....

https://vimeo.com/user92114609/review/307988506/171472b14f

Its in a real crap location (have had to pull down a load of plasterboard as you can see and in a right state so thinking i will simply replace it.... if i open it right up it throws out so much water (thats a wooden panel on the other side with a washing maching the other side of that so could even go in from that side

What parts would i need looks like 15mm at the top outlet and i guess 22 at the inlet? But what about the connectors on the inlet side, hoping to hit toolstation on the way home from work tomorrow

Also they've recently fitted a water main so hoping its fairly easy to turn off outside, any ideas how to lift that cover?

Appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
I can't open the link so don't know whats there. Is your stopcock leaking from the spindle ? If so re pack the gland. Fit a new stopcock in a more accessible position if possible. If you can do that ,once done just leave the old one permanently open.

If you can not lift the cover of the water meter/stopcock on the pavement, then I would suggest you call someone in.

Andy

Sponsored Links
I can't open the link so don't know whats there. Is your stopcock leaking from the spindle ? If so re pack the gland. Fit a new stopcock in a more accessible position if possible. If you can do that ,once done just leave the old one permanently open.

Yep, i've tried to open up the spindle as had a look at youtube vids but mine seems to be leaking far worse than any of those clips - assume it has to be open to replace it and worried if i get it off i could have a real problem wit the water being released? so I'll have to turn the mains off from the street to do that so figure is it not better to simply replace it whilst its off

You can close your stopcock to repack the gland. But would be wise to isolate outside as well.

Its an awkward place to get long spanners into ,and probably would be to change the whole stopcock. You may need to undo the screw and remove the handle and possibly open up from the other side of the wall.
What spanners are you using ?

The incoming water mains looks like 3/4 inch Alkathene pipe.

Have the stopcock replaced with a lever valve.

Andy

Got it off with a 15 spanner in the end... ptfe appears to have done the trick, but will definitely replace at some stage. Thanks for the help.

IMG_20181223_210016.jpg

Is there a hexagon nut on it ? Looks like its circular ,and a bit mashed up as well !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back