leaking stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya all, had a rather badly leaking stop cock (13 years old) from blue pipe to copper.

it was leaking from the gland nut - so after repacking it with ptfe (gas) as i am told is better rolled in to string - i then used some lx leak sealant (fernox) seemed to sort it - but had to tighten it up to the max - as i could come back a couple of hours and have a tiny weep - this was weeks back and thought all was ok

just thought i would check last night and tissue was a tiny bit wet - (tiny bit)
not worried about tightening it up a lot as i have another stop cock much newer after this one! (one i use) but not the one the plumber used)

anyway have tried to monitor this and left it over night and have a tiny bit of water on the tissue when i touch the body - NOT DRIPPING

worth worrying about / replacing

are they all rubbish?!

:) have done the best i can. (think every say 10 hours or so it weeps a tiny bit BUT NOT DRIPPING!

bloody anoying!!!!

Sponsored Links
If you have tightened the gland nut as far as sensible, then try some more ptfe packing. Did you push it down into the recess with a screwdriver?

If this doesn't work, try some waxed string from a plumber's merchants. I tend to use this more for packing glands.

If all else fails, may be less of a b*lls ache to change the tap.

Draw a piece of ordinary string across a wax candle a few times, and you will have some waxed string for gland packing...

...Or break up the candle and use the wick...

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't have thought dental floss will work, you would need a hell of a lot. You could always tryitandsee :D

Can you still get graphite packing string?
That's what was used when I was a lad.

thanks guys as the packing nut is about rounded off - and as tight as i can get it - and i put plenty of packing in the gland - i opted for wrapping the old stop cock in gas tape - and seems to have cured the tiny leak!! looks a bit of a pigs ear but not on show and i have another nice newer one future up stream.

will by idea work or am i best to get it replaced?!
thanks obviously if this was my only one i would have no choice

thanks

anyone think this will be ok ^^ it was only weeping say after a good day a tiny bit ?! ive wrapped it around it tight - it wasnt leaking

checked it this morning and was ok ?!

thanks all

2 days on and not a leak in sight touch wood! :)

bloody old stop cocks

i read that loctite 55 is good stuff!

shocked that the fernows lsx wasnt better - seemed to sort it for a month.. :(

Just for info, Homeserve do an Insurance based scheme which covers your water supply pipe only, from Water board's responsibility (road/pavement/water meter) up to and including your internal stop cock.
It used to be £15 a year, but has probably doubled by now. But if you took this insurance out, left it for a 'respectable time', you could get the job done later ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back