Leaking tap. O ring.... Can't take apart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, my tap leaks from the area showing on the attachments.

However, I have no idea how to take the tap apart. The only screw is highlighted with the purple arrow. There is also a screw on the nozzle itself.

I am guessing I just need to put a new o-ring near the area in the photo.... I just don't know how to get to it.

The tap was in the property before I purchased it so don't know the make.

I think it's this https://www.howdens.com/kitchens/ki...onal-polished-chrome-effect-mixer-tap-tap9155

Attachments

• IMG_20220224_170352.jpg
    IMG_20220224_170352.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20220224_160546.jpg
    Screenshot_20220224_160546.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
1. Do you mean it is leaking:
1a. From the back of the handle to which the arrow in your second photograph is pointing? OR
1b. From the swivel point above the base of the tap, the part which has the handle mechanism on the side?
2. If from 1a:
2a. It could be the tap that is leaking. This won't be an O ring, but will require a new cartridge.
2b. To get at the cartridge you will have to remove the handle, with or without the round shroud attached to it. You may well find that the handle lever unscrews, and that there is a grub screw (usually Allen keyed) in the base of the threaded hole. Undo the grub screw and the top will probably pull off. You will then need to remove the cartridge and find a replacement. The cartridges are normally held in place with a threaded ring which screws to the inside of the tap body. May have a hexagon for a spanner, or two slots for a special tool (or tapping with a punch!)
3. If from 1b I'm afraid I can't help, other than to point out that if someone put it together, someone else can take it apart.

It drips directly from where the flexible pipe goes into that ring you can see on the photo.

Ps taken the on/off handle off to see if I can get into it that way.... I cannot

1. Those flexible pipes usually have a 1/2" BSP male thread on the end. This screws into a matching female thread in the tap, with some form of seal or O ring in between to seal.
2. If not already done, loosen the screw circled in yellow.
3. See if the chrome tube at the end of the spring section will unscrew.

Sponsored Links
1. Those flexible pipes usually have a 1/2" BSP male thread on the end. This screws into a matching female thread in the tap, with some form of seal or O ring in between to seal.
2. If not already done, loosen the screw circled in yellow.
3. See if the chrome tube at the end of the spring section will unscrew.
I got that far..... But could take anymore off. I think the small ring at the top might come off, but no screw or anything

So, put it back together again

Attachments

• IMG_20220224_174852.jpg
    IMG_20220224_174852.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 56
These taps can be a nightmare when they start to go, same with a lot of modern 'own brand label' stuff by some of the larger suppliers. To be honest they're not really designed to be repaired. The chances of getting the bits needed are rare to none.

Time to replace methinks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back