Leaking toilet base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a close coupled toilet with an almost constant damp patch around the base. No visible leaking anywhere, pretty evenly spread around the toilet. Any ideas? The internet keeps telling me to replace the wax seal underneath but this site has told me that is a U.S. setup and my soil pipe is out the back.

The only thing in my head is that it has somehow cracked since installation but it's only been in 3 years and was fine for the first two.

Any help gratefully received.

Dave

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Take a picture showing the pipe connections to the rear of the toilet.

And a side view picture.

Andy

Judging by the pics of the waste set up,that would be the first area to focus your attention.
Dry all around ,from the pan outlet to the wall ,and flush several times ,each time feeling all around the above mentioned .

Sponsored Links
1569775151354901766722.jpg
the back is the only place the moisture doesn't appear. Was bone dry at the back, 5 full flushes gave no change.
There is the tiniest rocking (only detectable on my knees with eyes at floor level) if I push it but I doubt it moves much to sit on. (Thought it might be relevant)

If you suspect crack you could pack tissue all round base and colour water in pan with food dye, leave a while and see if it has stained tissue or crack

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back