Leaking toilet overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Upstairs toilet - overflow pipe goes out the side wall of the house - but really difficult to get to because of trees in the way.

Months ago, we noticed a damp patch on the brick wall. Checked the cistern, which was trickling down the overflow pipe. Adjusted the float arm - problem solved, we thought.

Recently, we noticed that the damp patch still seemed to be there. Every time we check the cistern, the float arm is doing its job and the water level is half an inch or so below the top of the overflow pipe.

So, is it possible that the overflow is leaking some other way? For example, is there a joint in the pipe where it comes into the cistern from below, and could this be leaking? I would like to know if this is a possibility before taking the plumbing apart :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
well the overflow pipe is usually one section, so unless its cracked then maybe its not that, it might be difficult to get to,but worth trying to see if it is coming from the overflow pipe, are you sure its the toilet overflow and not from the cold tank or header tank,maybe if you have them it might be one of these at fault

well the overflow pipe is usually one section, so unless its cracked then maybe its not that, it might be difficult to get to,but worth trying to see if it is coming from the overflow pipe, are you sure its the toilet overflow and not from the cold tank or header tank,maybe if you have them it might be one of these at fault

I'm pretty sure it is the overflow pipe, since there is no other plumbing nearby. I had not thought about a crack inside the cistern - I'll drain it and see if I can see anything. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Love those old skool plumbers - chopping holes for overflows while perched up a ladder- then the pillocks leave the pipe sloping down towards the wall :rolleyes: - Most of them are now fitting sky dishes and butchering brickwork with sds drills. The brickwork is stained for life now :cry: maybe that`s why the patch seems to be there :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back