Leaking under sink/condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The taps below my kitchen sink are leaking a lot, we’ve had a few plumbers say that it’s just condensation but the base of our cupboard is constantly soaking wet and causing lots of water damage to our cabinets. It seems like far too much water just to be condensation.

I’ve spotted a small hole that’s letting out water that seems to correlate with where the constant leaking/dripping is coming from. The join between the plastic part and the metal pipe also seems to constantly get wet too.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be and what we can do to fix it? Reluctant to pay another plumber just for them to come out and tell us it’s condensation again but really need to try and sort things as our kitchen cabinets are ruined!

Attachments

• 81577799-3B7F-457D-934E-60037782FBFA.jpeg
    81577799-3B7F-457D-934E-60037782FBFA.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 71
  • E9A8942F-F63B-473A-BE38-D0566BB8D9CD.jpeg
    E9A8942F-F63B-473A-BE38-D0566BB8D9CD.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 75
Sponsored Links
That looks like a Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV). That wee hole is just an air bleed, its there to relieve pressure when the spring inside the cap moves. Could the seal inside have gone letting water past and into the cap, guess it could. Tie/tape a plastic tub below it and see if it catches water, then you'll know.

1. The item in your photograph looks like a pressure reducing valve, fitted with a pressure gauge.
2. These, in my experience, can often leak through the joint between the glass of pressure gauge and its metal surround.
3. The small hole is there to provide atmospheric pressure on one side of a spring loaded diaphragm. If the diaphragm goes, then yes, water will come from the hole. What does the pressure gauge read. If nothing, or there is water inside the gauge, the valve is probably faulty.
4. Finding leaks is, as I'm sure you've gathered, not always the easiest job. I'd suggest the following approach:
4a. Dry every pipe, valve and joint you can see.
4b. Wrap tissue, preferably the blue roll type, around each pipe, valve and joint.
4c. Where the tissue discolours / looks wet is where there is a leak (may be more than one).
4d. Address each leak as found.
5. If it were me, I'd concentrate on the pressure reducing valve, and replace it. This will require the mains to be shut off, and there will be residual water in the pipes to be accommodated. Follow the instructions on the new valve for setting it to the correct pressure. If in doubt as to what pressure is required, go for 3 bar.
6. Doesn't sound like condensation to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back