Leaking UPVC recently replaced windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have water dripping from the left & right of the cill (sill?) into the cavity.
The plaster was damp so I removed the window board to take a look.
Drip drip constantly during rain so I have put a pot at either side with paper towels moving the water over a plastic lining into buckets on the floor inside the house.
I have sprayed blue food dye to the unpainted exterior render above the window which quite quickly made its way to the paper towels inside, and red dye to the exterior sides which didn't show.
So, the water is coming in from above the window and getting in to the back of the frame and out through the cill to the inside...
Do I seal with silicone when it is dry.... and protect with products or is it more than that?
The render does cover the top & both sides of the frame, I have been assured there is silicone around the frame underneath.
Probably hasn't been a dry day since the build was finished.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Who installed the window? If it was a paid contractor, get them back to sort it out. Other than that, an expert will be along in a minute!

Our builder installed it. He will be back to finish off and we have kept some money back.
I would like to sort it if I knew what the issue was ;)

Can you show some pics?

Sounds like he may not have sealed the ends of the cill. The area shaded in green on this pick should be fully sealed.

150-cill-600x600_zps21d75a5d.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks Gazman 16
I suspect it needs to be sealed on all 4 edges like this?
I'll take pics in the morning.
The cill for sure hasn't any, otherwise I wouldn't see the blue dye.
before I found it coming into the cavity, the window board was wet in places, far too much to be condensation.

That's probably it then.
The cill should be sealed all the way along the back edge and the 2 ends to prevent wind driven rain from getting in.

Hi Gazman16

Some interior and exterior images for you.
Today I took out some interior plaster for a better look. I can see water ingress on the inside of the outer cavity wall, trying to re-route it until the builder can get back....

//www.diynot.com/network/aDIYMum/albums/
[/img]

It looks like he has also sealed up the outside between the cill and the frame this is where a window is meant to drain from through concealed drainage under the front of the frame (it dosent show the hole on my diagram but it would be in the section overhanging the cill).

To be honest this guy dosent seem to have a clue how to fit windows.

any water that is drained through the frame onto the cill is being sent to the sides because the cill has been sealed to the frame on the outside! silly mistake! this guy is clueless

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I'm happy to remove all of the interior plaster on top & sides, we haven't had a chance to re-decorate since they went in anyway so no issue with another re-finish.

Thanks for the link ;)

So, if I rake out and seal all around the inside where the plastic meets the wall inside, remove the render and rake out and re-seal the outside, the cill should be OK if fully gunked on each end inside too??

If your going to go that far (removing the render etc) you may as well take the window out and refit it correctly, That would be the ideal thing to do.

My suggestion was more of a retro fix but as you have it all open on the inside you would be able to keep an eye on it for a while to make sure it sorts the leak before making good.

There are two on the 1st floor as well (only leaking a small amount) I can see the window boards are blown along the back edge and damp & raised on the edges.
If I (he, probably or I'll keep the outstanding balance) can do the work as you suggest but inside & out without having to take off the cill I think that will be best for upstairs as that could be a horrendous task now the scaffolding has gone back!
Surely if the silicone seals window to wall on front & back that will hopefully cure it?
On your cross section, I have water seeping out of the rear of the cill too, just to the right of the last green section which has the joining of the grey & the white.
Last night I collected 4 pints of water in the pot.... Just from the steady dripping as the water is carried along the paper towels and over the cavity.
Heaven knows how much soaks down the inside front that I can't get to.

Cheers Gazman16

Silicone needs to be along the sill and on the ends (u shape) just doing the ends still enables rain to blow up in between the sill and window.
Anyone can fit a window, getting it to work the way it should and doing a neat job is something else. Would you allow a window fitter to build your extension?? Nice windows ruined. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back