leaking upvc windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have quite a bit of rainwater leaking it along the top of the frame of an upstairs upvc window. The window is set in a recess and the recess is lined with a wooden frame that is covered with a pvc panel. I've taken off the pvc panel and the water seems to be running in from the outside, along the top of the upvc frame and between the lintel and the wooden frame.
The window is hinged at the top so it is hard to lean out see what the problem is, but from what I can see I think the filler/sealant needs replacing.
I can borrow some ladders at the weekend (along with a ladder-holding friend) but as I can only use them for an hour or so I want to make best use of this time.
Can anyone offer any advice? - Are there any obvious things I should look for around the frame? Do I need to remove any existing sealer before adding more? Are there any recommended products? If it is raining or wet will the products work? Are there any signs when I get up there that this is more than a diy job?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Most likely if the sealant is worn or need adjusting the hinges for tighter seal, some hinges won't allow you to adjust. The problem with these type of window there's no weather bar on top to keep the rain off it. :rolleyes:

Do check the frame sealant as well.

IS there a lintel above the window? (Is your house an old one?) I have seen this happen and the bricks have dropped, letting water get in above the window. I am thinking old because of the windows being lined with wood and plastic, puts me in mind of a box sash job.

This is the worse case scenario, it may just be the lazy twit that fitted them couldnt be bothered to fit a drip strip or gun up the head of the frame, so remove all old sealant and redo with a good quality silicone and only do if every thing is bone dry, total waste of time if wet or damp.

Thanks for the advice guys. The house is about 110 yrs old so it might have had sash windows originally.
I've had a look at some sealants - now just need to hope it stops raining!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back