Leaking valley on pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I may use laymen's terms here because roofing is not something I've ever dealt with, but I have bought the bungalow equivalent of the money pit. I have 2 problems:

1) I have a pitched roof that is slate tiled, with lead flashing - there is no felt below it. The valley in one part is leaking somewhere near the top and is causing water to run down the rafters inside the loft space.
I don't have a lot of money so am looking to do a cheap fix to get me through the winter and then look into a more permanent solution for the whole roof. What can I do if the lead has failed?

2) The back bedroom currently has a flat roof (also lead) which has failed before in a few places and is leaking now in one place. The roof is on joists with no isolation and a larth & plaster ceiling. - It's bloody cold in there!

I want to replace the roof and ceiling in the summer, what is the best way to replace this roof bearing in mind once the ceiling and roof come off I will only have joists left?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Quick fix on you first problem? Get 5ltres Flexacryl and brush it on to area really thick. Try to get surface clean. It will go onto damp but dry is better.
Many ways to tackle your flat roof. Strip off and put new 18mm wpb ply over joist then a layer of Geoextile fibre and lead sheet it again.....that is the best. It usually lasts 40-70 yrs. Code 5 lead.

That is the most expensive job .....but the cheapest in the long run. Get quotes to do it. Come back on if you want something cheaper and not as good of course.

Alex

Hi Luke, your lead has probabley split due to thermal movement and the lead being layed in too large pieces,as a very quick fix either do as Corrie says with flexacryl or if you can see where the splits are on the lead then you can use Lead mate, you can apply this with a mastic gun and just smooth over like mastic, as i have said this is just a quick fix till you have the valley re-leaded and the same with the flat roof.
Hope this helps
Dave

problem 1
if the valley is split then simply strip a couple of slates out each side of the split, with a stan extend the split the full width of the valley lead. Get an additional piece of lead 15 to 18 nch square will probably do it, slide the top of the new piece under the upper section of valley and secure it (under the upper lap of course) re dress lead, refit slates... This is fast easy and last a long time.

2 take off roof , knock down ceiling from above using scaffold boards to stand on. re deck roof fit new roof covering. fit insulation from inside then ceiling

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, would I need any ventilation in the flat roof or can this be completely sealed up?
There is an en-suite toilet (used to be an outside toilet at one time) that also falls under this flat roof, don't know if this makes any difference.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back