leaking valley.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My elderly neighbour has a leaking valley on a tiled roof.

Lots of the cut tiles have come loose and slipped down partially obscuring the valley and much of the bedding mortar has crumbled or come loose.

The lead itself is in pretty good condition, its just the build up of crud that has formed due to the loose tiles and mortar blocking it.

She is relatively vulnerable and i would like to oversee the repairs so just getting a handle on how extensive the tile lifting will need to be?

How feasible is it going to be to remove the valley cuts and relay them? Will lots of the roof need stripped or can the affected tiles and a few others be levered out to replace the mortar and relay?

Tiles are a double roll type pattern.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Just down the forum page there's an Oct 7 long thread about exactly what you ask.
How can you know that the lead is in "pretty good condition" when there's debris obscuring the valley?
Have you been inside the loft and viewed the valley from below?

Tiles are a doddle compared to slate, you should be able to remove a couple of tiles each side of the valley and see whats going on. crow clips and some
strong water proof mastic will make things easier these days.

It should not be a difficult job , the problem usually happens because the roofer has not bedded the tiles on to an undercloak.

They are often beded straight on the lead and the movement of the lead causes the cement to fall out

Sponsored Links
UNless something is blindingly obvious, you need to be prepared for a full strip with valleys.

Everything is fact and degree, so you need it looking at properly to see whats involved in patch repairs, or whether to just bite the bullet and have it all renewed

Thanks for the replies, it was a large lump of mortar caught on a slipped tile which had some grass growing in some debris behind it. This was diverting heavy flows of rain in all directions so pretty sure this was the issue.

From inside the area around this was visibly stained and water was definitely getting in under the felt which was flapping free because the mortar had gone.

I removed all debris and hosed down the valley and climbed up to check it out. As I said the lead looks fine it seems the tiles simply need stripped and rebedded to stop rubbish gathering in the tightened gap cause by slipped tiles.

Cheers again

Thanks for coming back & saying what happened next.
AAMOI: if you have to do any other valley repairs bear in mind that probably 90% of valley remedial work is down to an original bad construction (thats my take anyway).
Even where a wet valley fails, if the lead & carpentry have been properly prepared then there's maybe two more lines of defence against leaks.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back