Leaking Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

I've come here as we are currently decorating our home and in the process we have taken off an old radiator in the living room. Since this, the valve is leaking slightly (just a drip-a-second). We have a combi boiler and I was wondering what to do. I have tried tightening the valve (whilst I did this I put equal pressure in the opposite direction to keep the valve steady) and this has done nothing. If anything, it has sped up the leak! :(

Now I have closed the in and out flow of the boiler heating system and i'm wondering what to do next. I'm not sure how I would go about draining the system as the radioators in my house have got ****e bleed valves so i wouldnt be able to bleed 50% of them? (if needed?) plus im confused as to how draining the system would work as the radiator is downstairs and the pipes are fed from the ceiling?

We have a new radiator and new valves but can't get hold of any plumber to save our lives and we need this fixed ASAP!! i will upload some images soon for you to check out of the valve and our system.

Any help what-so-ever is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
If you have not got a suitable drain off under the rad you need to buy a 15mm self-cutting washing machine tap and fix it onto the lowest pipe to the rad. You can then drain down in a controlled fashion.

When drained change valves and then fit drain off in place of wm tap.

ohhh be careful

I badly hurt a boiler with one of them, the disc left by the self cutter found its way into ther DHW HE and blocked it so I would avoid them

best to turn off the rad by the valves, drain the rad and then use one of the rad valves with a hose pipe connection

just dont foget to whack a Drain off in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back