Leaking velux windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just wanted some advice.
have 2 velux windows fitted in a flat roof, both are leaking.
I've tried putting flashing on them, but doesn't stop the leaks.
Now the plaster inside is coming off.
can anyone suggest any other ways of repairing, mate told me that the velux are the wrong type for a flat roof- buildr was a useless ****, but can't find him now.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you've just got the standard pitched type windows. Unfortunately the only real way you'll stop the leaks is to have them replaced with the flat roof type which are supplied with a timber surround which acts as the upstand and the window actually ends up at a pitch.

See here for an indication of type of rooflight for flat applications. You can just build a 150mm timber kerb and fit a dome. Ensure you incorporate trickle ventilation as a minimum though.

when fitted as per instructions, Velux don't leak.

the instructions are foolproof.

as said, there are rules governing Velux applications regards pitch. you just need to build a watertight sloping up-stand to create the minimum pitch.
not pretty - but practical.

Sponsored Links
thx for all the advice.
guess i'll call a pro in to price it.
by the way dont know why i'm listed as being in ireland, i'm in london :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back