Leaking Velux

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking for some help here.
I have just had my garage roof replaced and decided I wanted some natural light flooding through. The roof is flat so I asked the builders for two skylights. They recommended that I put 2 velux windows in to allow light and also so I could open them on dry days. The reason I say dry is that although they are on a pitch, it is a very slight pitch (~5 degrees) and I know they would let rainwater in when open. I don't have a problem with this is they were initially for light. The problem I have now is that one if them is leaking. I went onto the roof and re-covered the windows with roofseal but I have since noticed that the leak is actually within the internal frame and not the external one.
These windows are only a couple of months old and I don't know if Velux will halp me as these have not been fitted using the minimum pitch that is recommended but surely, regardless of this, they should still not leak??

Sorry for the blurb but I needed the pisture to be clear.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid you'll probably get no joy from Velux as a `flat roof system' roof-light should have been installed, this comprises of a kerb that creates a 19 Degree pitch for the window to be attached.

Ok, so what are my options. Clearly, I need to stop this from leaking without replacing the entire units.

Sponsored Links
carefully check all trim srews are fitted..
I am going to remove all the trim screws to ensure there are no deficiencies in the main window. I am aware that I have not fitted them at the correct pitch but they still should not allow water to penetrate.

correctly fitted then they never leak.
Fitting to a lower than reccomened pitch then there is a likely hood they might leak.. 5 degrees and they almost certainly will leak, open or closed ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back