Leaking water from central heating inlet flow and return

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have some plumbing knowledge but I am not to hot when it comes to boilers. I have recently had to adjust pipe work for a radiator and drained down the system which is a sealed system in a valiant Eco tec plus not sure what model combi boiler which is no more than a few years old. The customer the next day rang me to say the pressure was at 3bar which I know is not the norm. I went back to sort it out and reduced the pressure which was very high and thought I would check to see if the filling loop was the problem. I disconnected the fill loop from the feed to the heating to discover water was passing when the water inlet valve was in the closed position. So I thought this was the problem, wrong this was only the start. I removed and checked the inlet valve to the central heating and hot water feed and thought I could see some wear so I got them to order a new one. I went to fit the part and discovered that it was the wrong part which was ordered but managed to cap off the inlet valve to stop any water leaking into the heating system and over pressurised the system. The New part arrives in a few days. While I was there they asked me to fit a towel rad in the downstairs bathroom so I thought yep no problems😊. I adjusted the pipe work which was a bit awkward and fit the rad, uncapped the inlet valve filling loop and pressurised the system to 1.5 bar and bleed the radiators . When I disconnect the loop which I know should be done to comply with the regulations I noticed water passing from the heating system valve, so now I have water leaking form the central heating valve and the cold water inlet valve when the loop is not attached. I have fitted quite a few rads in the past and have never had a problem like this. PLEASE HELP

Sponsored Links
These manufacturers filling loops are cheap and nasty.
Cap it off and fit a proper filling loop between the cold main
and return pipe.
Sorted

or get new valves from the manufacture. If they haven't been
moved in a long while they can leak.

and return pipe.
Sorted

I have a similar vaillant combi boiler with the same fittings on the underside and have never had any problems. What are the chances of both the valves failing with the loop removed. I would say that about 1ltr of water is passing through the inlet valve when in the off position every 3 minutes. And there is a slow trickle from the centrel heating filling valve when in the off position. I would not want to pay for new rip off valves only for them to fail again. Could there be another problem?. Or is it as simple as removing and replacing the valves, cheers robiow

and return pipe.
Sorted

I have a similar vaillant combi boiler with the same fittings on the underside and have never had any problems. What are the chances of both the valves failing with the loop removed. I would say that about 1ltr of water is passing through the inlet valve when in the off position every 3 minutes. And there is a slow trickle from the centrel heating filling valve when in the off position. I would not want to pay for new rip off valves only for them to fail again. Could there be another problem?. Or is it as simple as removing and replacing the valves, cheers robiow

No if the valve is leaking it is leaking.
Most likely the handle has sheared off and isn't turning the valve at all.

Sponsored Links
and return pipe.
Sorted

No if the valve is leaking it is leaking.
Most likely the handle has sheared off and isn't turning the valve at all.

The braided filling loop has no isolation valves attached to it. The valves are fit onto the feed to the hot water and the feed to the central heating. I have removed one of the valves and they are defiantly not sheared. I think there may be some scale or grit in the valves that letting the water pass when the valves are in the off position.
I have managed to fit a new loop with isolation points onto the existing loop as its not a standard loop and it appears to have fixed the problem. Thanks for the info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back