Leaking window sills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would once again like to ask for the wisdom of you lovely people in a minor issue we need fixing in our house.

So, here’s the issue. We have a number of “sectional”, flat cement windowsills on our property that have been badly fitted. They are flat (i.e. no slope so water just sits or runs down the joints) , no mortar between the sill blocks and apparently (do to the vast amount of rainwater water leaking into the house) no DPM beneath the sills!

Ideally I would take the sills off (at least 4 of them) and put a DPM beneath them. Unfortunately, its an issue I’m not going to be able to fix myself in the short term requiring scaffolding and more money than I have at the moment, so looking for a fix to last me a few year whilst I squirrel some pennies together.

So far my thoughts have been:

1: Take off the sills put a DPM underneath and replace, preferably for something more attractive. Fairly sure I cant afford this option at the moment as will need scaffolding at a minimum and someone else to help given the size of the sills!

2: Put some form of oversill onto the existing, but concerned a UPVC prophylactic for my sill isn’t going to look very good and probably isn’t that cheap either!

3: Flashband, some form of paintable flashband. Again not ideal but probably my preferred option at the moment given the low cost and relative ease.

Would much appreciate any other suggestions if anyone has one!?

Attachments

• IMG_20220502_150729.jpg
    IMG_20220502_150729.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20220514_210556.jpg
    IMG_20220514_210556.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20220503_102303.jpg
    IMG_20220503_102303.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
Maybe cover sills in tiles. Although I'm not sure about that.
Or
Masking either side of joints and fill with epoxy. I've used chemical fixing in the past. Pull tape as it's setting.

Don't know if I'm helping but all I can think of.
I have fixed upvc leaks by foam injection

Cheap and cheerful- just buy some tubes of MS Polymer (eg CT1 or Sikaflex) and fill any possible gaps. They are almost as flexible as silicone but can be over painted and can be applied to damp surfaces. CT1 is available in a number of different colours.

It might be advisable to check the old silicone seals though. They may have failed.

I would:

1) cut a small V in those joints, to create somewhere for mastic, then use a modified silicone polymer filler.

2) I would dig out that silicone at the back and redo

3) usually upvc windows without external cills have face drainage holes -do you have those and is water getting through the upvc window seals and running inside

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back