Leaky Bath Tap Washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a drip under my bath which looks like it's coming from the seal around the body of the tap, i.e. water from the shower getting around under the tap, not the tap itself leaking.

At the moment I've used a rubber washer and plastic nut, both of which came with the tap, and I think that the washer might be folding into the hole where I've drilled through the bath.

I was thinking of swapping the nut for a brass nut and using a wider washer so that it will overlap the body of the nut and be less likely to fold into the hole.

Does anyone with more experience know of a better approach or whether this is likely to work?

Sponsored Links
If the hole through the bath is much wider than the threaded shank of the tap, you do have a problem. If this is the case, consider getting a chromed washer with an O ring seal under it to fit between your tap and the bath. You can usually find them on ebay.

The plastic nuts are, in my opinion, generally c**p and are best replaced with brass back-nuts. If your hole is approaching the outside diameter of the back nut, you'll need another washer, preferably brass or a split click washer, between the back-nut and the underside of the bath. Screwfix sell split click washers.

You are putting the washer between the tap and the bath, not between the nut and the bath, aren't you?

Sponsored Links
You are putting the washer between the tap and the bath, not between the nut and the bath, aren't you?
There in an o-ring washer type seal which sits in the base of the tap column, and then a wider rubber washer which I've put between the washer and the underside of the bath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back