fitting bath taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just bought new bath taps - a mixer. This came with one washer and one back nut for each tap/inlet. I believe that I should place the washer on the tap and then the tap on the bath and secure with the nut. This means the washer creates a nice seal between tap body and bath - no problem.

What seems strange though is that the washers supplied are much smaller in diameter than the base of the tap so when I fit the unit to the bath there is a gap of about 2mm between tap body and bath surface. This looks a bit odd and will just collect water and be difficult to clean.

Should I add some mastic to fill the gap? Should the washers go underneath the bath rather than on top?

Thanks, Mulls.

Sponsored Links
You got them right first time mulls, I prefer the washers innie rather than outie :)

Thanks ollski - so whast do I do about the gap? The washers will compress a little, I suppose - but not that much. Should I just leave it? ... or fill with mastic?

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back