Leaky join - anything I can do to stop water seeping out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Took a radiator off the wall to properly decorate behind it. After putting it back on, this join in the pipe is sightly leaking. I guess from all the movement in the pipework taking the radiator off and on. Are there any simple things I can do to seal the joins?

photo_2023-01-07_17-38-00.jpg

photo_2023-01-07_17-38-02.jpg

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I assume it’s leaking from one of the joints on the compression T piece. Try loosening off the leaky nut by half a turn and then retighten.

Is the leak where The pipe meets the radiator valve ,and drips down onto the TEE . If so you could try tightening the nut a little .

I've always hated tee compression joints.
You tighten up one side and another comes loose.
Any slight movement and you get a leak.
A persistent leak in a tee many moons ago was the reason I learnt soldering.

Sponsored Links
1673166846384.png

Yeah, it's the underside of this one here. I guess 'weeping' is the way to describe it. Whereas everything else on the T piece seems to be sealed and encased in layers and layers of paint, you can just about see a clear line / gap has appeared around here.

I haven't tried moving the nut at all yet (not sure if I can given the amount of paint on it) but will see.

It could be that when you re-fitted it, you have chipped a little of the paint, and this is now stopping the olive making a proper seal.
You may have to scrape some of the paint away, release the nut and give the inside of the joint a good wipe with a dry cloth in the hope of removing any debris. Then re-fit the nut making sure it doesn't scrape any paint back underneath. The copper has to be spotless when making or reconnecting a joint.

Compression is compression be it elbows/tee's/straights, they all work fine if handled correctly. If the pipe moves and breaks the seal it can leak, usually a nip up is all it needs. If it's had more than a few nips, which is a typical DIY error then it may have been overtightened, if so then it will need disassembled and you may get away with a wrap or 2 of tape around the olive, if not then it needs a new olive and possibly the pipe repaired if it's been necked.

Hard to see but in your first pic that mess that you have made of the connection to the Lockshield valve, is that a drip of water on the underside of the compression nut ?

Hold the T joint with grips in left hand. Take up slack. Get your knee against your left hand.
Now when you tighten nut the fitting won't move.

That's the trick in plumbing.. Thinking about hand and your leg to fix the fitting so it will not move crackling other sealed joints..
¼ turn nut that's all may fix drip.

I've had others stand on wrench to crack fittings while my knee against my hand holding wrench secured fitting solid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back