Leaky Shower Trap (I think!!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just moved into a new house, (ya know, the one that Jack built!!) and after a long day moving in, decided to get a nice hot shower. And a nice hot shower I was getting too, until my partner kindly informed me that the water was leaking through the kitchen ceiling :evil:

Anyhows, after having a look underneath the shower tray, it appears that the water is drippping from the side of the trap, which looks like this:

showertrap.jpg

My problems are: (in order!)
1.) i don't know how to remove the trap, does it screw off or just use brute strength to pull it off?

2.) is it really likely to be a leaky trap, or more to the fact that it's just not sealed properly?

3.) if and when i do manage to get the trap off, is it difficult to put back on?

any advice / suggestions / ideas greatly appreciated!!!!

Sponsored Links
The trap should be sealed to the tray with a rubber washer & the waste that screws into it through the tray is best sealed with silicone, if its leaking remove the waste grate then unscrew the waste aniclockwise out of the trap from the top, when removed the trap will pull out to inspect & allow resealing. hardest part is removing waste out of the tray. wedge 4 index fingers into it after removing trap tube, tension fingers & try to undo, if u cant undo it can u pullthe waste pipe out of trap to spin that off.

Sponsored Links
if its leaking remove the waste grate then unscrew the waste aniclockwise out of the trap from the top

what is the waste grate? :oops:
(in leymans terms, are you on about the removing the plughole??!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back