leaky shower trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently fitted a shower and can't stop the trap from oozing. Unfortunately there isn't enough clearance to unscrew the trap bottom and refit - so need an external sealant to stop the leak.

I really, really don't want to dismantle my new shower completely!

Sponsored Links
Where is it oozing from?

And how fast?

And what's the material below the trap that's stopping you removing it and making it seal properly?

If you didn't build the shower tray in such a way as to be able to service shower in future out it comes.

Alternatively take a shower in egg white and let it find the leak.

You'll build it differently next time, or carry on as an endangered species.

When I get called to a leak from a shower (i.e. ALL THE TIME) if it wasn't put on stands with access possible my first question is who fitted it? and my next exhalation is, well youd better get him back hadn't you?

well hindsight is a wonderful thing. The material below the trap is solid stone flags. The leak is coming from the screw fitting (removable part). The shower tray is on legs, but still lacks enough clearance to remove and replace trap.

I know where the leak is - just want some ideas to stop it, given the circumstances.

Sponsored Links
civory said:
I know where the leak is
Well, we don't, despite specifically asking you to tell us!

civory said:
...just want some ideas to stop it...
In that case, please help us to help you, by defining what "it" is.

I repeat - The leak is coming from the screw fitting (removable part) - in other words, the part of the trap that should be removable for cleaning out, but isn't, in these less than perfect circumstances.

A suggestion as to what kind of external sealant could be used to seal up the leaking trap would be appreciated.

You clean out shower traps from inside the shower by lifting out the insert.

If you are talking about the rubber washer between the trap and the tray, and you can get a hand in, unscrew it apply sealant rescrew it.

If yoiu can't do that, then you'le never get your hand round the back of it to seal it anyway, so you have to remove the tray and refit it in such a way that this scenario doesn't occur next time. If that requires further elevation make a tiled front panel with four mirror screws in it for good looks but possible removal.

civory said:
I repeat - The leak is coming from the screw fitting (removable part)
FFS, repeating yourself doesn't add any clarity. Given that yer average shower trap has three screw threads, how does referring to "screw fitting" narrow it down in any way?

civory said:
...in other words, the part of the trap that should be removable for cleaning out, but isn't, in these less than perfect circumstances.
If you can't remove the part that you're supposed to remove for cleaning out, I don't see how you can even take a shower.

civory said:
A suggestion as to what kind of external sealant could be used to seal up the leaking trap would be appreciated.
Well, you could encase the entire trap in silicone sealant. I'd like to make a better suggestion, but still have no idea which seal is not sealing.

This kind of confusion is usually best solved by posting a photo. Any chance?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back