Leaky shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

We have this old shower and the control is leaking and I had a few questions. I have taken off a couple of layers:

IMG_2877.jpg

1) If I unscrew any more here water starts gushing out. So I imagine I turn the water off unscrew this and replace a washer. Is this right or could it be something else?

2) The shower head is above:

IMG_2878.jpg

Since the water goes through the control knob thing, can I replace these fittings with one of those shower heads on a flexible hose? Will that kind of thing work with the plumbing that exists? Is it easy to do?

3) Also I can't see a way to get that shower head off, might the whole thing unscrew? I don't want to force it.

4) I have severe black mold in the silicon sealant around the shower base. I can't clean it off. Is there anything I can do?

5) The grout between all the tiles is old and discoloured, is there anything I can do about this? or does it need re-tiling?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Looks like an Aqualisa shower. You will need to remove and replace the whole cartridge. The screws around the outside hold the cartridge in place.
The cartridge is not serviceable.

andytw

Great thanks. I'll look into getting a new one.

There seems to be a few types, but I guess I can just remove the old one to see.

Is it fairly simple to swap do you know?

I guess I can just google the dirty grout and mold issues, but if anyone has any tips they'd be appreciated.

Cheers

Great thanks. I'll look into getting a new one.

There seems to be a few types, but I guess I can just remove the old one to see.

Is it fairly simple to swap do you know?

I guess I can just google the dirty grout and mold issues, but if anyone has any tips they'd be appreciated.

Cheers

Hi,

I think the colour is the key. I swapped a green one. Aqualisa web site has spares, though you may find them elsewhere.
Best if you can identify the actual model of shower.
Easy to swap.
There is an 'O' ring to go in the back of the housing before you slide the cartridge in.

With regard to the head it looks like there is a flat visible in the photo suitable for an open ended spanner.

Aqualisa web sie may have manuals too.

andytw

Sponsored Links
as for the grout, scrape it out with a stanley knife and just regrout. It'll look totally different.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try to clean it first. Quite a few increasingly extreme methods came up on Google.

I imagine scraping it out would take ages, but good to know if all else fails.

Cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back