Leaky tap, wet floorboards/ceiling - what next?

GRC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bath tap has been leaking for a while, but as it was leaking into the bath and down the plughole, I wasn't too concerned.

Last night, a damp patch on the ceiling downstairs (not right underneath the bath) led to investigation, and found that silicone sealant had split in area behind the tap, allowing water to run down behind the edge of the bath and form a pool on the floorboards under the bath, presumably running down through gaps in these boards to find the seam between two plasterboard sheets where I noted the damp patch on the ceiling.

New sealant now applied, the floorboards under the bath have mostly dried out overnight, so it appears the water hadn't soaked into them too much. I left a fan heater running under the damp spot in the ceiling all day, and that now appears dry to the touch whereas it felt damp last night.

I'm not too keen on ripping out floorboards and ceiling boards to investigate at present, so any advice in the 'What Do I Do Next?' vein would be gratefully received.

I'm thinking of leaving the fan heater under the damp spot for a while yet; and also providing a warm air stream in the vicinity of the floorboards under the bath, but without access to the area between these two spots (they are separated by a horizontal distance of around four feet), I can't do much else. The fact that surfaces have dried reasonably quickly makes me think that water penetration has been minimal.

Any suggestions? Any likelihood of any kind of rot setting in as a result, or does it sound as though I've had a lucky escape and caught it in time?

Regards, Graham

Sponsored Links
Just leave the fan on and turn the heat off. With heat things might dry too quickly.

Think there's any mileage in making a hole in either the floorboards or ceiling plasterboard and directing air inbetween to dry that out.......?

Regards, Graham

Might help, esp. if it's chipboard flooring. If its wood it'll probably dry out ok.

Sponsored Links
My neighbour recently has a pipe burst under his upstairs floor, and drip through over a huge area. I have an endoscope for such things, two small holes in the polasterboard, easy to mend, and I'd spied the source.:cool:

They're expensive, can it earn its keep? I collect gadgets, but I have survived ok without one of these so far.

I charge £50 every time I use it. It either saves me a load of time, or the customer a load of damage. Neighbour was delighted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back