Under the bath - floor etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need guidance. We had a bathroom re-fit -- suffice to say the fitter was less than competent. He has tiled to the floor and then fitted the steel bath. 2 months later we have water running down the wall downstairs. It looks like it is seeping beneath the taps between the taps and the bath - I can't see a gasket there - or from behind the taps between the taps and the bathroom wall - little space for sealant.

Cutting the story short I intend to determine the source of the loak and seal it BUT is there a known method to waterproof under a bath?

The bath only has floorboards under it currently and is tiled to the floor. I was considering trying to fit some (?) damp proof membrane and sealing to the wall tiles around the edges at the floor.

Having read this forum and searched I can't find anyone else asking a similar question so probably a poor one to ask !!

No doubt someone here knows a lot more than - please help.

Sponsored Links
Might not be practical but if you can, remove the bath and seal (use Dow Corning sealant) all around the edges of the walls so that any water can't escape downstairs.

Forget the membrane.

Tiled to the floor behind the bath? Sounds like he wasted a few tiles then :eek:

Floors under baths have to left bare, covered in bits of broken tile, splodges of various compounds and pencilled notes, and have enigmatic holes to the eerie void below. This is plumbers tradition and it is bad luck to break it.

You expect taps to have something to stop water running beneath? Are you a fool? That would stop the OLD plumbers sucking through their teeth and moaning about the YOUNG plumbers, who are in fact repaying their masters by giving them work.

You have to lift the taps, by undoing whatever you need to, depending on the tools and access you have, underneath. Then clean out the scale/soap and dry it (meths). Then squirt in silicone like it was your boss's, fix the tap back down and clean away the excess - broken up credit cards are good for that.
For the hard-to-reach bath/wall join, clean & dry best you can and resilicone. Shove a Biro outer into the syringe spout to make it longer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. He was an old plumber with reference from a large retail chain. Complete fxxxxxx wxxxxx.

Age is no guarantee of competence.

Ho-Hum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back