Leaky Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sigh, leaks just seem to be spreading for me at the moment.

While turning off the water supply to look at another leak I noticed the water supply tap was also leaking:

IMG_2931.jpg

A plumber once came round and was very confused/ spurprised by the water supply taps. There seem to be 2 one under the stairs as in the picture and one under the floorboards.

How do I fix the one in the picture? Is it a cae of taking it apart changing washer?

I'm hoping the other tap feeds this one but if not how can I change this tap without flooding the house?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Its a little awkward to see where the leak actually is - if its the gland (smaller hex nut just down on the turn spindle) thats easily sorted without turning the water off.
Undo the gland nut and wind some ptfe cord clockwise around the spindle, and push it into the void left by the gland nut - a smear of vaseline does no harm. Then tighten up the gland nut and the leak should be stopped.
If the leak is from the stopcock body (larger hexagon) you need to turn the water off and unscrew the body - there's a fibre washer between the mating faces.
At the same time, put a new rubber washer on the jumper - saves aggro later on.
John :)

Great, Thanks for the help.

I'll take a look at that on Weds.

I don't suppose you can help with my other leak problem? A corroded screw a few posts down in this forum.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back