Leaky toilet inlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a bottom-entry inlet to a low-level toilet and no matter how carefully I tighten the external white-plastic nut I always get a leaky joint! The inlet came with a conical rubber washer to be placed inside the cistern (cone-side down), but I have my doubts as to how effective this is, as the hole at the bottom of the cistern doesn't seem to be exactly circular.

I have tried inserting another rubber washer between the cistern and nut (should it be plastic?), but this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Could I use a sealant between each part of the joint? If so, which one does not degrade when constantly underwater?

This should have been a simple DIY job (so my wife keeps telling me), but it's driving me nuts! Any help would be appreciated.

Alan

Sponsored Links
I have never had a problem with these rubber washers, but if in doubt you can put a dollop of Fernox LS-X or such like under the washer inside the cistern to make up any uneveness.

You shouldn't have to do it too tight, infact it may already be too late and you've knackered the threads.

I assume the leak is from the cistern rather than the feed pipe.

simple DIY job (so my wife keeps telling me),

Let her have a go then.
Don't worry mate, plumbing can be the art of putting cr@p together with whatever additions are actually required to make it work.
Wouldn't be surprised if the bottom side of the flat which goes against the rubber washer is uneven, and the water's running down the thread.
As Dan Says, LS-X everywhere should fix it, but give it 15 minutes to go off.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks to all who replied to my original post.

Off to buy some LS-X right now - my old tube has hardened beyond use.

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back