Connecting Water Supply To Toilet Inlet

Sponsored Links
I've learnt at least one thing during this process. The valve I have (shown in my pic) is a service valve, not an isolation valve.

The valve I have (shown in my pic) is a service valve, not an isolation valve.
Potayto - potarto, tomayto - tomarto syndrome.
If it's copper-to-copper, I say it's an iso(lating) valve. If it's copper-to-swivel-nut, I say service valve. Others use different terminology. Some use the generic term ballofix.

Latest update on my Easter holiday project. I've disconnected the cistern again. No amount of tightening of bolts or wiggling about was going to make the cistern sit where it needs to to match the existing pipework and the securing holes in the wall. It's all because the replacement coupling kit isn't a good match for the one I took off. The one I took off had a metal plate and what looks like a foam doughnut which is compressed almost to nothing at the back end. The new one is an Opella, in which the plate is plastic and slightly thicker and the doughnut is rubber, I think, and much bigger in all dimensions. So I'm resigned to finding another coupling kit, more like the original, when the sheds re-open on Monday. Failing that, I have a stanley knife, lots of time, and a tube of LS-X. Anyone tried "customising" a doughnut to fit? Another question - what are the merits of a foam versus a rubber doughnut? Would a foam one compress more? Thanks for all your help - I hope you're not bored yet. I could get a plumber in, of course, but where's the fun.

Sponsored Links
Sadly for the DIYer, there are about 5 different donuts and 3 CC kits to choose from.

Not quite sure what point you are up to now but I think the best advice that I personally can give you is to make sure not to cross thread the service valve nut onto the plastic inlet thread. It is really easy to do so resulting in a useless valve. I normally fit the valve to the thread (including washer) before connecting to the supply pipe so that you know the valve is fitting correctly. I know this probably sounds silly but when I first started plumbing, I did this a few times and had to replace the whole valve.

Thanks for the advice - noted! I currently have the cistern off. The service valve is still connected to the supply, and I don't intend removing - mainly because I'm not entirely sure where the stopcock is! Note to self - must find out where the stopcock is.

hi fouxdafafa just a little update on your problem. i happened to glance in my profile and came across this post and noticed that seco and charnwood commented that services valves were not different lengths, hadnt seen the comments before
so i put a photo on to give you an idea of what i was on about View media item 46231 View media item 46232the top one made by plumbsure is sold at screwfix and is 7/8mm longer that the other one. not a massive distance by any means but looking at your photo that may have helped you. if you are unlucky then the one fitted may already be a plumbsure valve and youre goosed. thats life. didnt mean to give the impression you could just stroll along and buy a valve considerably longer

Thanks for the update. I actually finished this job some time ago. I ended up whittling away at the new doughnut until the cistern sat low enough that it met the existing pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back